"It's summertime and the living is easy"
We have passed the peak and have entered the summer season. This is by no means the end of good fishing. It is a time to change tactics and open up to new ideas. Early mornings and late evenings will be more productive. That's not to say every day trip is a wash out. That Fat Lady ain't singing here yet. Below are a few of the reasons we love the summer season.
- Wet Wading! We haven't worn waders in two and a half weeks. Grab a pair of river shorts/pants and fish comfortably in the heat.
- Throwing big rubberleg attractor dry flies and watching "The Mouth" appear.
- Fishing pocket water with the dry/dropper combo.
- Finding out just how many fish are in that riffle.
- Swimming the pool you just fished.
- Rope swing antics.
- The changing light of early mornings and evening sessions.
- G&T's and frozen Margaritas are in season.
- Spey casting dry flies far, far away.
- Micro nymphing.
- That evening rise where time is lost.
- The walk out at night under the moon.
- Small stream trips